What will you do this Fourth of July?
This year it’s a long weekend that includes Monday, July 5! So, what’s your favorite go-to celebration?
- Have a backyard movie night
- Go camping
- Have a game night
- Have a jam session with patriotic songs
- Enjoy a backyard barbecue
- Go on a picnic
- Go to the fireworks, make fireworks in a jar (see below)
- Read a good book (see below)
Fireworks In A Jar!!
- Clear glass container (mason jar)
- Food coloring
- Fill your jar 3/4 full with warm water.
- In a separate bowl, mix 3 – 4 tablespoons of oil and several drops of different colors of food coloring
- Use a fork to gently mix the oil and food coloring together.
- Gently pour into the water.
Let’s think about it:
- What do you think will happen?
- The food coloring will slowly sink out of the oil and into the water? Why doesn’t the oil sink? What happens to the colors? Do they remain separated? What colors mix? What is the final color of the water?
- Compare to fireworks: same? Different?
Science: Oil is less dense than water, the colored droplets are heavier than the oil. When they sink, they begin to dissolve, making it look like an explosion.
Fourth of July Reading Fun
Corduroy’s Fourth of July – This board book is sure to be a hit with little ones who adore Corduroy! This story follows Corduroy as he enjoys a picnic, swims in a pool, walks in a parade, and watches fireworks at night’s end. Ages 2 – 3.
It’s The Night Before the Fourth of July and all across the United States people are getting ready for hot dogs and fireworks. Decked in red, white, and blue, a family heads to a parade, hosts a backyard BBQ with friends and family, dodges an afternoon thundershower, and of course, watches a fireworks show. The Night Before the Fourth of July captures all the fun, excitement, and pride of the best summer holiday! Ages 3 – 5.
Focus Foundation specializes in X & Y Chromosomal Variation Disorders such as Klinefelters 47, Testosterone, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, ADHD and other Genetic Disorders. For more information please contact us or schedule a consultation at: thefocusfoundation.org/contact-us