Building Sculptures Using Paper Strip Hearts
Materials for Paper Hearts
- Glue stick or Glue dots (If you are using a thick paper like cardstock, the glue dots will be a better choice to hold the heart shapes in place. If you are using a thinner construction paper, the glue sticks should work fine.)
- Optional: Yarn, twine, or string if you want to hang the end product
- Construction paper or cardstock cut into strips: You can basically use any variety of lengths you want for your paper strips. (We used a few 11, 7, 5, and 3 inch strips.) I recommend cutting your paper strips to a width of either 3/4 inch or 1 inch for this project.
Directions for Building Paper Hearts
- Take a strip of paper.
- Fold it in half to form the bottom point of the heart.
- Take the top two ends and bend them towards each other to form the top of the heart. Hold the ends in place with a glue stick or glue dot.
- Make as many hearts as you want using various sizes and colors.
Using the Paper Hearts as a Valentine’s Day Craft
- Use your glue stick or glue dots to stick your hearts together in any formation you want creating your very own heart sculpture!
- Tape some string to the top of your creation for hanging.
Turn the Hear Project into an Engineering Challenge:
- Build a structure that can stand on its own.
- Build the tallest structure you can.
- Build the widest structure you can.