June 27th is National Sunglasses Day!
Sunglasses protect our eyes from ultraviolet (UV) light. This is an invisible radiation from the sun. It’s not good for our eyes and over time may create problems that can affect the health of our eyes and our vision. Fortunately, we can protect our eyes by wearing sunglasses that filter out this light.
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY:
- Chinese judges wore sunglasses in the 12th century with lenses made from smoky quartz to hide their emotions.
- In 1752 , James Ayscough started experimenting with tinted spectacles.
- In the 1900s sunglasses became popular, especially with Hollywood celebrities. Modern sunglasses were first marketed by Sam Foster on the Atlantic City (New Jersey) Boardwalk in 1929.
- In 1937 Ray-Ban Aviator sunglasses were made for pilots for World War II. They became the hottest accessory with famous people.
Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses is another good social-emotional book. Get out of a grumpy mood by looking for all things that are good that’s happening around us namely the sun shining. Everyone will want a pair of magic sunglasses!
LOVE THOSE SHADES!?
- Elton John owns over 250,000 sunglasses!
- They’re fun. They make us look better.
- They make us look mysterious.
- They protect us from the paparazzi!
Pick out your favorite pair and coordinate with an outfit you wear today.
So… wear those shades! Get involved by sharing a selfie with your favorite shades on social media.